Monday, January 2, 2012

Cheesy Chickpeas go Tex Mex!

I just LOVE it when things come together!! This was a super quickie lunch, using all the ingredients I had leftover from all my cooking today. Bryan loved it, I loved it, and we WILL be making this for lunch tomorrow :)



Cheesy Chickpeas go Tex Mex!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 3 minutes
Serves: 1

Ingredients:
1/2 cup brown rice
1/2 cup chickpeas
1 Tablespoon Coconut milk (or any other plant milk- I used this for it's creamy texture)
1 Tablespoon Veganaise (vegan mayonaise)
1 tsp Cilantro
1/4 cup Apple Sage Sausage Crumbles (or other meatless crumble product)
1 Tablespoon salsa
1 Tablespoon Daiya pepper jack vegan cheese
2 slices fresh avocado, for garnish

Directions:
In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the rice, chickpeas, coconut milk, crumbles, cilantro, and veganaise. Microwave for 1 - 1/2 minutes, until hot; stir. Add the salsa and cheese on top, microwave for an additional 30 seconds or so, until the cheese is melted. Top with fresh avocado, and dive in!!

Happy eating!

<3
Courtney

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Courtney,

    Questions: I've noticed that you are using a number of vegan "substitute" products -- vegan cheese substitute, etc.

    I've been looking at the packaging and reading your blog about them -- they say all natural.

    Can you address that issue? One of the issues we have in our house is avoiding all preservatives, flavoring agents, coloring agents, etc. -- the anti-migraine diet.

    I wondered if these products would be off limits because of this limitation.

    Any info/educated opinion/etc., appreciated.

    Julie Dietz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question! I don't know much about the Anti Migraine diet, but it sounds pretty straightforward from your explanation. I would think most of the foods I've talked about would be okay...

    The Daiya cheese, tofu, and Egg Replacer (the only substitutes I've used so far that I can recall!!) ingredient lists are below for reference.

    The tofu and egg replacer are both preservative and additive free. The Daiya cheese, however, is a bit questionable on the "natural" side of things... xanthan gum, while I know comes from a natural source, may cause sensitivity; same with "vegan natural flavors," since they do not list exactly what "flavors" they are referring to! How strict do you need to be on the diet? If we're just talking that the big, chemical-y compounds are the thing to avoid, this may be okay in your household!!


    **Bob's RedMill Egg Replacer contains: Whole soy flour, wheat gluten, corn syrup solids, and a seaweed extract. (preservative free)

    **Tofu (that we use- Nasoya brand) contains: water, organic whole soybeans, nigari (sea water extract), tricalcium phosphate (MAY be an issue- used as a nutritional supplement for electrolytes among other things..), and vitamins B6, B2, B12, and D2

    **Daiya cheese contains: water, arrowroot and tapioca flours, expeller pressed canola and safflower oil- both non GMO (not the best, I'll admit!!), coconut oil, pea protein, salt, inactive yeast, vegetable glycerin, xanthan gum, vegan natural flavors (?), lactic acid, spices, garlic, titanium dioxide (mineral).


    Let me know what else I can help with and what you come up with based on this info! I'm interested in learning more about the Anti-Migraine diet! :)

    ReplyDelete